Thursday, May 25, 2006

How to identify American totalitarians

by Dennis Prager
May 2, 2006

In the Soviet Union, the future is known; it's the past that is always changing.
-- old Soviet dissident joke

As a graduate student in international affairs at Columbia University, I specialized in the study of totalitarianism, especially, though not only, the communist variety. I found the subject fascinating, but I never for a moment imagined that any expertise gained in this field would prove relevant to American life.

Sad to say, it has turned out to be the most valuable subject I could have studied. The totalitarian temptation is not confined to Nazis and communists; it can rear its head in any society and gradually destroy it. And as the Soviet dissident joke notes, one quick way to identify totalitarian threats to liberty is to identify those who falsify the historical record on behalf of their cause.

In America today, two groups are most actively engaged in falsifying history: the ACLU and the anti-smoking movement.

Get rest of Article here

1 Comments:

At 2:23 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Freedom is one of the great things about America. This is something I believe strongly in. I can't help, however, to find it exceedly difficult to raise my two little ones in a world filled with the content currently on the Television. What do you think about htis? I find the television very appauling and i'm not sure what I can do about it other than not let my children watch it? I feel like i'm between a rock and a hard place. What do you think about Television, our society and children? Post something, I bet others would love to hear it as well.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home


free hit counter